Saturday, December 17, 2011

I've finished alaw for 2011

This is pretty much the same post as I did over at a letter a week 2012, so feel free to return to whatever you were doing before if you have read that one already!

I had planned to include my letters in some form of pop-up book and had even tried a few options and play-books. Of course as soon as I picked up my completed letters to see how they would go - I realised they were not going to look beautiful and/or shine in that format - in fact they would look silly and bent and wobbly.

So...the next idea happened along as I sat in my studio thinking about something else. Luckily this one pulled together right and off I went.

It's a kind of stacking, playing, fiddling, building, sculptural kind of book.  It's a favourite format of mine because it lends itself to so much interaction; so many variations in form; and it offers a little bit of something for everybody.


I used sturdy black mat-board which I cut into 10cm x 10cm squares, and then I glued the letters onto the black - a strong contrast I thought.  I chose to bind it with rainbow coloured threads as well which I think adds a bit of fun.

I had to unpick my first go because I had placed them alphabetically in 5 rows, reading left to right. I started stitching and realised that the binding actually works more like a snake - row 1 left to right; row 2 right to left; row 3 left to right; row 4 right to left and row 5 left to right again.


I like this option better - the letters flow as the binding does; and it also means that the rainbow stitching lines up in sequence as well.  It's the little things that make me happy...




So my folded letters have become a way out folded book and all is well with the world. I am always thrilled when I hit a deadline and am super-happy to have completed my second alphabet for the year before the end of the year. Phewwww!

6 comments:

  1. This is so clever. Love the structures, the letters, the colours... everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! It's boggling my brain to sit here and wonder just how you thought of folding the paper into the alphabet. Need to check out alaw to see what the others did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lesley - it ended up a good combination I think - fun, lively, vibrant!

    Excellent Jennifer - it was fun folding the letters, and then getting together in a final format that worked.

    Indeed Velma, indeed!

    Cassie - thanks for your comment; so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you've done this Fiona... very creative.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.