Thursday, December 1, 2016

Thursday Thoughts...

"The act of reading is a partnership - the author builds a house, but the reader makes it a home". 

Jodi Picoult

This is another one of those simple, elegant truths I think. It reflects what happens when we make and view art as well I think - between the maker and the viewer, in a sense, a new piece of work is created.

Books clearly do provide a structure, a form, an outline; and yet what we as readers bring to them is all the stuff that fills them up and fleshes them out and makes them so very personal.  Whether that is our experience, our belief system, our dreams or our fears - oftentimes what we bring to a book makes our reading and interpretation of it different to the next person's.

I really like the simplicity of the analogy of houses and homes; we all know the difference between the two when we see it and feel it whether we can describe it fully or not.

A house, 2007.

A home, 2016.

4 comments:

  1. your home is as elegant as your art Fiona! I love how as we grow and change over the years what we remember in a well loved book is not always what we read... to elucidate, I often read in bed and dream whole chapters that never existed except in my head....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - I also think over time I might blend parts of different stories and books and recall happenings that never happened together! Go well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for inviting us into your home ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Liz!. The kitchen dining and entry corner which is full of us living life!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.