Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thursday Thoughts...

Books take you under the skin of life, and into all the layers of the wind. Once you’ve seen that, it’s so hard existing on the ordinary surface. You’ve got to keep reading, to stay in the deep. 

Sarah Elwell

I love the deep that books provide - like going underwater, deep deep down into the dark, and then the gradual re-surfacing. The re-adjustment to life on the surface, being reminded of what is going on around you as you lift your eyes and mind from the book.

This is a beautiful description of that experience and like a diver trying hard to avoid the bends, I really do prefer to re-surface quite slowly and without a rush.  To re-surface too quickly leaves me feeling jolted, startled and not quite ready for whatever has brought me back.

I can feel quite disoriented if the transition happens too quickly. In a way it's like waking from a dream and trying to work out what is real and what is the dream...

That descriptor of entering into the layers of the wind...what a marvellous vision that again transports you. The very notion that the wind has layers startled me, and then of course I realised that it does, the clouds tell us so.

I think I am a bit addicted to the deep; when I am reading it feels like home and a beautiful place to be.


Emerging from the Deep, Heron Island.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quote!! I find myself needing to find some words to use other than "deep" because I use it so frequently, rather addicted myself, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some beautiful thoughts contained in that quote aren't there Valerianna? Glad you enjoyed, and be as deep as you like for as long as you like I say! Go well.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful descriptions - yours and Sarah Eklwell's - of the pleasures of reading and the layers and complexities encountered in a good book ... and I love the graphic quality of the photo you include. How well it compliments the quote and the mystery of the deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlton - it was a good quote wasn't it? and it really resonated...
      So glad you like the image as well! Just either side of the jetty the water is aqua blue, but the jetty's shadow did the job beautifully to help me illustrate the thoughts...go well.

      Delete
  3. ~i to agree...your picture captures the essence of this post and completes it just so...reading...a progression as the pages turn...sinking deep and deeper into the words that are written...fortunate are we to be able to have such moments...be well and much love light and blessings be with you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! I agree we are fortunate to be able to enjoy those moments - I am forever grateful that I love reading. It's one of life's little miracles to me that words can have that effect, that people can be so clever to write such beautiful thoughts that can absorb us...go well.

      Delete
  4. The quote is beautiful, Fiona, but equally beautiful is the way you have expressed your feelings about reading. Your first paragraph - I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it quoted somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Carol - I'm pleased I captured it well. It does describe me some days when I really have to work at 'coming back'. Hope you are having happy reading days, go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.