Thursday, April 6, 2017

Thursday Thoughts...

“It’s important to read a book, but also to hold the book, to smell the book… it’s perfume, it’s incense, it’s the dust of Egypt…” 

Ray Bradbury

I vacillate between agreeing and disagreeing with this notion - that the book as object and cultural signifier is more important than any other form of book.

However, last week, I got the opportunity to start selecting the work we will include in the Maleny Celebration of Books' First Edition display this year.  And because the books are all First Editions, they are old. To hold them and to turn the pages delicately is to experience so much of what they are and what they signify.

I immediately picked one up and smelt it - I had to!  And it smelt of all the things Ray Bradbury suggests - the smell of ages and of history.

I can happily read an e-book and not be fussed about not holding a real book; but every now and again I hold a real book and the magic and the beauty and the fabulousness of it being a real book almost overwhelms me. Huge sigh.


One of the fabulous volumes we will be displaying during July at Maleny Library.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing beats holding a REAL book - the weight, the smell, the feel of the paper... Always magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Claire- my favourite form of reading; but I value the portability of an ebook as well. We flew a bit last week and I smiled to see both B and I holding and reading real books in the airport and on the plane...love them!

      Delete
  2. ahhhh the smell of old books

    (excuse me while I post a link >> http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/where-does-smell-old-books-come/ << )

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. But then there's this ... one of the greatest joys in my library life was breaking open boxes of new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh - that sounds wonderful as well lLiz - I imagine new book smell and all they promise is pretty intoxicating too!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.